A pick-up truck is an excellent investment. A tonneau cover is essential if you plan to carry tools in the bed or do much transporting in general. The best tonneau covers won’t just protect what you’ve got in the back of your truck, they’ll also make your ride look more impressive. That said, finding the perfect fit your the make and model vehicle your drive can be a real challenge.
We reviewed dozens of tonneau covers to identify the best of the best, based on Amazon reviews, how well they performed in performance tests, cost, and other considerations. We narrowed our search down to 5 of the top-rated tonneau covers truck-lovers can purchase to ensure their beds are covered.
If you want to protect what you carry in your truck bed from exposure and elements, you will need a tonneau cover. Tyger Auto T3 Tri-Fold Truck Bed Tonneau Cover is especially recommended for its structural strength, easy installation, and folding. Apart from giving your truck a more stylish appearance, it will reduce your fuel consumption, which is really important.
In This Article
5 Top-Rated Tonneau Covers
|Best Overall||Tyger Auto T3 Tri-Fold Tonneau Cover||4.7|
|Runner Up||MaxMate Tri-Fold Tonneau Cover||4.7|
|Best Budget Buy||North Mountain Soft Vinyl Roll-up Tonneau Cover||4.0|
|Best Low-Profile Tonneau Cover||LOMAX Tri-Fold Tonneau Cover||4.6|
|Best Hard Top Tonneau Cover||Undercover Tonneau Cover||4.4|
Top Pick: Tyger Auto T3 Tri-Fold Tonneau Cover
The Tyger Auto T3 Tri-Fold Tonneau Cover is fully assembled for easy installation. It will take you no longer than three minutes to set this three section fold tonneau cover on your truck bed. All you need is just two pairs of clamps and one pair of safety screws for tightening, no holes to be drilled nor tools needed.
The cover of Tyger Auto T3 Tri-Fold is made of heavy-duty vinyl, the frames are powder-coated aluminum, and the clamps are stainless steel. These features together make your truck bed both weather-resistant and dustproof in all climates. Furthermore, the frames are tested to hold 6 inches of snow without any problem.
Once installed, the cover really seals good and sits tight, which is the performance you want to see. Tonneau cover should also bring you up to 12% reduce of gasoline consumption. If you commute a lot of miles on highways tonneau cover will save you a lot of money, as well as help the environment.
Tyger Auto T3 Tri-Fold Tonneau Cover Key Features:
- Tri-fold design brings increased structural strength
- Premium quality materials ensure maximum protection in all weather conditions
- Easy installation within a few minutes
- Easy access to the bed of your truck when needed
- One hand operated clamps allow easy folding
Our Runner Up Pick: MaxMate Tri-Fold Tonneau Cover
MaxMate Tri-Fold Truck Bed Tonneau Cover is made of marine-grade vinyl that is tear resistant. This feature will keep the goods in your truck bed protected from water, dust, and UV exposure. Aluminum crossbars provide additional support for the tonneau cover and conveniently fold up with the cover when full access to the truck bed is needed.
The threefold design gives your truck a sleek look and total protection from weather conditions and exposure. MaxMate Tri-Fold Truck Bed Tonneau Cover sits tight on the rails of your truck bed and seals this compartment completely. You can operate this cover with just one hand.
Furthermore, there are 2 safety screws to additionally secure the cover. Two buckle straps are also provided to secure the cover when you drive with an open truck bed.
Moreover, your truck will consume less gasoline when driven with this tonneau cover on. The MaxMate Tri-Fold Truck Bed Tonneau Cover is compatible with 2009-2019 Dodge Rams.
MaxMate Tri-Fold Tonneau Cover Key Features:
- Heavy-duty construction provides long term usage
- Quick installation – takes only a few minutes
- No holes to be drilled
- 10-year warranty
Best Budget Pick: North Mountain Soft Vinyl Roll-up Tonneau Cover
North Mountain Soft Vinyl Roll-Up Tonneau Cover is made from reinforced UV/Cold resistant materials to ensure high performance and durability. Crossbars are built into the cover and they will roll up together to provide full access to the bed when transporting cargo, as well as give tight and smooth look when closed.
The installation of this soft vinyl roll-up tonneau cover takes 10 to 15 minutes. To set it on your truck bed you will only need a screwdriver and an Allen wrench. This Top-Mount design ensures improved water runoff and minimal truck bed space intrusion.
This tonneau cover features patented latch and tension system that allows fine-tuning of your cover so that it stays tight in any circumstances.
North Mountain Soft Vinyl Roll-up Tonneau Cover Key Features:
- Compatible with 2002-2008 Dodge Ram 1500 Pickup 6.5 Feet Fleetside Bed Only; 2003-2009
- Dodge Ram 2500/3500 Pickup 6.5 Feet Fleetside Bed Only
- High-performance materials ensure high quality and durability
- Aluminum Frame/Rails.
- 3-year warranty on materials
Best Low-Profile Tonneau Cover: LOMAX Tri-Fold Tonneau Cover
The Lomax Tri-Fold Hard Tonneau has a low profile design that sits just half an inch above the truck bed. Panels for this tonneau cover are made from aluminum alloy, making them lightweight, strong and durable. Two finishes are available for this cover, matte black or classic diamond finish. Both finishes will blend with your truck for sleek and clear appearance.
The installation of this tonneau cover is simple with eight tight-bite clamps and takes 15 to 20 minutes. No drilling is required. If you need full access to your truck bed to store bulky cargo, it is possible to remove the cover from truck bed rails in just a few moves maneuver.
LOMAX Tri-Fold Tonneau cover will save some fuel for you due to improved aerodynamics when the cover is on. Therefore, it will significantly reduce your expenses if you commute every day.
LOMAX Tri-Fold Tonneau Cover Key Features:
- Easy to remove and install
- Integrated storage clips
- Water-shedding design and waterproof hinges
- Easy to operate
- Comes in 2 different finishes
Best Hard Top Tonneau Cover: Undercover Tonneau Cover
UnderCover Tonneau Cover is a hard top truck bed cover made of ABS composite materials which ensure you get the highest level of quality possible. Polymers and X-Effect design give this cover lightweight characteristics combined with strength and durability. You can’t beat that combination!
It takes minutes to install this hard top cover and it is easy to remove it to get full truck bed access. Wall mount hardware is provided to hang the hard top cover on the garage wall, when not in use. Additionally, the LED lighting system is there to help you see the contents of your truck bed.
Undercover Hard Top Tonneau Cover is painted to match your truck’s factory paint job. The hard top one-piece construction is still unparalleled when it comes to the appearance and style that tonneau cover brings to your truck.
Undercover Tonneau Cover Key Features:
- Single point locking system controls both hinges
- Easy to install within minutes
- X-Effect Design for improved strength
- UV-Protected and Scratch Resistant ABS Composite Material
- 3-year warranty
Who Should Buy a Tonneau Cover
Tonneau cover: a covering used to conceal, contain, and/or protect a truck bed. Earlier makes of cars had exposed passenger seating which also used the enclosures to protect their unused seats. There are a variety of options consumers can choose when purchasing a tonneau cover.
Anyone who owns a pickup truck with an open bed or has a car with open seating would benefit from purchasing a cover. These covers are most frequently bought to cover the bed of a pick-up truck because they offer consumers with an added layer of protection/security that may not be present. The covers provide protection to consumers by giving them the ability to shelter items stored in the bed of a truck and adds a blanket of protection from the elements of the outdoors. Some covers give an extra layer of security and give the consumer the ability to fasten the cover down onto the truck, which helps cut down immensely on theft from the bed of pickups. The covers additionally help the consumer use the truck bed in ways they may not have been able to before purchasing a cover.
Tonneau covers make are a utilitarian and functional accessory for any pickup truck. Which cover is best for you will depend upon your needs, wants and how you plan to use the cover. Want to protect your truck’s interior, too? Check out our review of the best floor mats.
Important Features to Consider
A tonneau cover for your truck’s bed should have a few important features. Here’s what to consider when choosing a tonneau cover for your truck:
- Security. Security is one of many benefits a tonneau cover can offer the purchaser. The cover gives the customer the confidence to be able to cover and hide your belongings without worrying they might disappear. Both hard and soft covers come with the means to have the cover locked while in use (or when not in use).
- Protection. Have you ever needed something moved but didn’t want to do it because you were afraid rain, wind, hail, or other natural elements would damage the item you needed to move? This is where Tonneau covers come in – they can help safeguard items being hauled in the back of pick up trucks.
- Fuel economy. A Tonneau cover can help increase your gas mileage. You may not see a vast improvement but the covers do help increase gas mileage slightly by creating less air drag or air flow because the bed is covered. There are reports in which consumers have seen a 5 – 10 percent increase in their gas mileage when using a bed covering specifically designed for the make and model of vehicle they own.
- Savings. A tonneau cover can provide you with savings you may not normally consider. For starters, it saves you the time and hassle of misplacing and searching for items as it will prevent objects from flying out or vanishing. Also, it saves you the headache of having to file a police report when things are taken from the beds of pickup trucks (because this is greatly reduced with the use of a cover). Furthermore, It will save you capital over time because it will protect the bed of the truck from the naturally occurring elements.
- Aesthetic value. The best tonneau covers add a certain aesthetic value to your truck’s overall appearance. Depending on the style, and your tastes, there are several choices including tri-fold, hardcovers, soft roll-ups, and low profile covers.
Frequently Asked Question
What is a tonneau cover and how does it work?
A tonneau cover is a cover that is mainly used in covering beds of pickup trucks. There are tonneau covers that conceal the unoccupied passenger seats of cars that have open roofs. A tonneau cover works by covering the bed and giving the user the ability to lock the cover so no one can get into the bed of the truck without a key. Tonneau covers can be used to hide and protect belongings. The covers are very similar in functionality to the trunk of a car.
Why is it called a tonneau cover?
No one really knows for sure why it is called a tonneau cover. The word originates from the French language and directly translates into “cask” or “barret” which is a large container in which various things are stored. Many speculate it is called a tonneau because it is used to protect and shelter possessions contained in a truck bed. When tonneau covers were first used they were made to protect cars that had open roofs with an interior that was completely exposed – the canvases were used in covering or encasing the interior of the car(s).
Do tonneau covers help with gas mileage?
Yes. A tonneau cover can absolutely help with gas mileage. The covering provides more of a streamlined and aerodynamic system so air is not circulating through the truck bed. Some users of Tonneau covers have noticed an increase in gas mileage from 5 – 10 percent, although most covers will increase the mileage by about 5 percent. Information to consider when looking at gas mileage is: What type of cover will you have installed? And What type of truck do you currently drive.
Do tonneau covers keep water out?
Overall yes, tonneau covers will keep water out. However, some covers are better at this task than others. Hardcovers do a better job of keeping the water out than soft covers. Snap covers or roll up covers will keep the majority of the water out but will have leaks on the sides where there are openings. Hardcovers and retractable covers are the consumers best bet for keeping water completely out of the truck, as they will be sealed completely when shut.
Other Tonneau Covers We Looked At
We looked at 20 other tonneau covers. Even though they didn’t make our 5 best tonneau covers list, they’re the best of the rest and each is still a great option for protecting the bed of your truck. The information you’ll need to compare each one is included with the listing.
- Roll Up/Trifold Tonneau Covers
- Tonneau Covers for Dodge
- Tonneau Covers for Ford
- Tonneau Covers for Chevy
Roll Up/Tri-Fold Tonneau Covers
Constructed of high-grade vinyl, the Assualt Soft Roll-Up Vinyl Tonneau Cover for Toyotas is just as reliable and protective as a hardcover.
- Easy to install with no drill
- Rolls up quickly and with ease
- Pre-set tension systems
- Industrial strength materials for a longer lasting cover
The TruXedo Duece is just what it sounds like, a tuxedo for your truck. Easy to install and easier to use, the Duece from Truxedo is operatable from inside the cab.
- Industrial strength velcro and high-end vinyl materials
- Hinged flap rolls up completely
- Rolls forward and backward
- Easily haul large items with ease
Roll-N-Lock Locking Retractable Tonneau Covers come with high-end aluminum frames powder-coated for longlasting use.
- Lasts for years
- Unique design compared to the many competitor covers
- The patented clamp-on design makes installation a breeze
- Superior drainage system keeps your cover and bed dry
Reduce the chance of theft with the BAKFlip G2 Hard Folding Tonneau Cover. With an all-new integrated buckle system, no one is getting into this bad boy without your permission.
- Stake pocket holes that work with additional accessories
- Low-profile design sits flush with your truck bed
- A patented latch system makes this cover synch to use
- Highly durable
Cost: from $890
The Tri-Fold Gator Tonneau Cover is easy to install, looks great, and provides protection from the elements all year round.
- The seal keeps out all of the elements
- Easy and quick to install with no hassle
- Sleek design with built-in crossbows for extra strength
Tonneau Covers for Dodge
This top-mounting tonneau cover is one heck of a deal. It comes with built-in crossbars, a low profile design, and weather/tear resistant material that’ll keep your bed dry as a bone all from a lower price than most.
- Clamp-on design east to install
- Locks and rolls up with ease
- Consists of tear-resistant 24 oz vinyl material and aluminum frame
- 3-year warranty
Weatherproofing, a watertight seal, tear-resistant material, improved gas mileage, and a sleek design set on a durable aluminum frame; what more could you ask for in a tonneau cover?
- High-quality vinyl and aluminum construction
- Super quick installation
- Fits on more beds than most covers
Another excellent choice for those shopping for tonneau covers on a tight budget. This soft roll-up cover kit offers equally easy installation and usability.
- Adjustable tension for a superior fit
- Elastic straps keep the cover secure
- Easy and fast to install
- Velcro seal keeps the cover fastened to the edges of your truck bed
Capable of custom fitting just about any truck on the market, the R&L Racing Roll-Up Bed Cover is truly hard to beat (especially for the low price).
- Easy no-drill installation takes only a few minutes
- Reduces gas mileage by approximately 10 percent
- Heavy duty vinyl material rolls up and locks with ease
designed to fit onto your truck bed in one piece, this aluminum and vinyl cover will surely secure the back of your truck. the best part? No drill is necessary for installing it.
- Easy installation with no drill necessary
- Powder-coated aluminum frame with stainless steel clamps
- 24 oz marine grade waterproof vinyl cover
Tonneau Covers for Ford
An appealing standard tonneau cover for short bed trucks. It’s quick and easy to install, rolls up smoothly, and saves you up to 10 percent of your fuel expenditures each month.
- Easy to use roll-up design
- Saves up to 10 percent on gas mileage
- Quick and painless installation
This hard vinyl and aluminum tonneau cover makes the perfect finishing touch to your Ford F-150. Lightweight, durable, quick installation with no drill required, and waterproof material; they don’t get much better than this.
- Hard vinyl and aluminum
- Weather stripping prevents dust and keeps water out
- Installation is easy and requires no drill
A smooth low-profile design, built-in crossbars and a roll-up tarp that allows quick access to your truck bed, while keeping it completely waterproof, are a few of the most significant advantages to this tonneau cover.
- 24 oz tear-resistant vinyl tarp
- Easy to install
- Crossbar built-in
- 3-year warranty
Quick mounting, with no tools required, powder-coated metal frame, durable hinges, and a pre-assembled cover make the Gator Pro an excellent choice for your Ford Super Duty truck bed.
- Natural grain industrial grade vinyl
- Powder-coated aluminum frame
- Weather resistant seals
- Stainless steel hinge pins
An extremely versatile bed cover for your Ford, this bad boy is completely customizable to fit the exact measurements of your truck. Keep your gear protected from the elements with this easy to install and operate tonneau cover.
- Rubber edges
- Easy installation with adjustable tension
- Powder-coated aluminum plating
Tonneau Covers for Chevy
This appealing truck bed cover is water resistant, corrosion resistant, wear and tear resistant, and flame retardant as well. Talk about protecting your haul!
- Aluminum frame and rubberized seal
- Climate, water, and tear resistant
- Flame retardant material
- Manual adjusting nobs
An affordable selection for standard size truck beds, this cover comes with crossbars and roll-up tarp and sits atop the bed rails for excellent water drainage.
- Fits only on standard sized beds
- Installs on top of raised rails for superior protection from the weather
- The cover sits on top of the bed rails for improved water runoff and minimal bed space intrusion
- Clamps onto your bed in minutes
- Highly adjustable and heavy-duty design
If you’re searching for the best hard tonneau cover, the Lund Hard Fold is one great choice. It is impact-resistant, easy to install, comes with straps, and best of all no drilling is required.
- Fully assembled and easy to install
- Double-sided and tear resistant marine grade vinyl material
- Dent resistant 6063 aluminum panels
- Support beams and sub-paneling with epoxy coating
Cost: from $590
The MGPRO Vinyl Clamp On Soft Lock & Roll-up tonneau cover is easy to use and quick to install. It sits low to the bed of your truck and keeps the weather at bay and your cargo secure.
- sleek low profile design
- Includes a built-in crossbar
- Made with 24oz double-sided vinyl tarp and aluminum rails
- Easy to install on your truck bed
The Rough country Soft Tri-Fold tonneau cover provides you with everything you need to protect your valuable cargo. It installs in under a minute and has an easy to use tri-fold design.
- Comes fully assembled
- Seals on all four sides of the bed
- Lightweight marine grade 6061 aluminum frame
- Quick installation with the patented Quick Clamp System