Finding the right set of motorcycle tires can be rough since there are so many to choose from. If you’re not in the tire business, it can be hard to discern between all of the different motorcycle tires, their functions, and figure out which ones are the best. Touring tires won’t do it for off-road riders, likewise tired build for tearing through dirt won’t go well for bikes built for long-distance cruising.
It can be difficult to find the best motorcycle tires for your bike, so we reviewed dozens of motorcycle tires to find the highest quality and most durable pair of wheels for your motorcycle based on their durability, functionality, design, Amazon ratings, and more. We narrowed our search down to 5 of the top-rated car speakers for great audio.
Overall, the best tire to invest in including features and cost point is the Michelin Pilot Power 2CT Tires. The makeup of this tire offers the rider with precision handling, improved lean grip, and off-road capabilities. Michelin has manufactured a tire that is at the top of its class in lean grip and fuel economy, which is no easy feat. Many tires will meet the needs of a motorcyclist, but if you are looking for a top-notch tire, the Michelin Pilot Power 2CT Tires are among the very best that money can buy.
In This Article
The 5 Top-Rated Motorcycle Tires
|Best Overall||Michelin Pilot Power 2CT Tires||4.9|
|Runner Up||Pirelli Diablo Rosso Corsa II Tires||4.8|
|Best Budget Buy||Michelin Commander II||4.9|
|Best Sport/Performance Motorcycle Tires||Michelin Pilot Road 4 GT Touring Radial Tires||4.9|
|Best Cruiser/Touring Motorcycle Tires||Metzeler Z6 ROADTEC Street Sport Motorcycle Tires||5.0|
*Ratings are from Amazon at the time of publication and can change
Our Top Pick: Michelin Pilot Power 2CT Tires
The Michelin Pilot Power Tires offer precision handling for bike riders on even the most treacherous of roads. It is made for both on and off-road terrains. In other words, the tire offers smooth acceleration and braking on all surfaces. The 2CT (two compound technology) provides the rider with a lean angle and secure grip. Furthermore, the wet grip for this tire is ranked as an A. That means it has the highest ranking possible for wet grip. It also indicates how fast and excellent the tire brakes on a wet surface.
The high-grade rubber used in the manufacturing extends the longevity of the Pilot Power 2CT Tyre. That said, these high-quality tires are also available in a wide range of sizes. Even more, the tires are in the fuel efficiency class A, indicating that the fuel efficiency for this tire is top-notch.
For bike riders looking for the best motorcycle tires for a wide variety of riding experiences, the Michelin Pilot Power 2CT tires are a superior choice than most. They are also made by one of the most trusted names in the business, which counts for a lot.
Michelin Pilot Power 2CT Tires Key Features:
- Precision handling
- Off-Road capabilities
- 51.2 lean angle
- Excellent wet and dry grip
- W-Rated for speeds of 168+ mph
Our Runner Up Pick: Pirelli Diablo Rosso Corsa II Tires
The Pirelli Diablo Rosso Corsa II Tires provides riders with a smooth ride and solid grip in both dry and wet conditions. The tire is made with new and improved nanotechnology making the impossible possible, riding safely and easily on wet surfaces.
All key points motorcyclists look for in a tire are found in these Pirelli tires. They provide the rider with exceptional handling, precise cornering, and excellent on-point braking. Pirelli has created this tire specifically to meet all the needs of any enthusiastic rider.
For those who’re searching for the motorcycle tires a cut above the rest, the Pirelli Diablo Rosso Corsa II Tires are among the highest rated and trusted tires on the market.
Pirelli Diablo Rosso Corsa II Tires Key Features:
- Dual compound on the front
- Triple compound on the rear
- Enhanced safety and confidence in cornering whether dry and wet
- W-speed rating for speeds of 168+ mph
Best Budget Pick: Michelin Commander II
The Michelin Commander II Front Tire is the tire for riders who are shopping on a tight budget. These tires provide most of the same great features as the top picks on our list, but at a fraction of the cost.
The Michelin Commander Tires equip bike riders with impressive grip on the road no matter how wet or dry the conditions are. Furthermore, tread wear is excellent due to the tire’s innovative tread pattern, which is integrated with silica, providing a lesser probability of uneven tread over time.
These long-lasting Michelin tires provide motorcyclists with a rigid design that gives enhanced resistance and significant staying power. This is one of the best motorcycle tires for bikers on a budget without a doubt.
Michelin Commander II Key Features:
- Impressive grip in wet and dry conditions
- Improved stability and maneuverability to older models
- Enhanced weather resistance
- 130/80B17 Front Tire 43863 and other sizes
Best Sport/Performance Motorcycle Tires: Michelin Pilot Road 4 GT Touring Radial Tires
One of the very best sports/performance motorcycle tire on the market right now is another Michelin product, the Michelin Pilot Road 4 GT Touring Radial Tire. Michelin designed this tire to provide riders with more precise braking power, allowing them to stop quicker at a shorter distance. The tire provides a 17 percent shorter brake time when compared to other sports/performance tires.
The cutting-edge technology of these particular tires provides longevity far superior to previous versions of the same model. For example, the tire has a longer life span due to the unique rubber that’s formulated from 2CT technology.
Even more, the modernized tread provides maximum grip at any lean angle. Heightened safety, absolutely excellent performance, and the overall longevity of the tire make it a top pick for a sport/performance motorcycle tire.
Michelin Pilot Road 4 GT Touring Radial Tires Key Features:
- High stability at any lean angle
- 17 percent shorter breaking time
- 2CT Technology for more durable rubber
- Stiffer casing than previous models
- 180/55R17 73W and other sizes
Best Cruiser/Touring Motorcycle Tires: Metzeler Z6 ROADTEC Street Sport Motorcycle Tires
The Metzeler Z6 ROADTEC Street Sport Motorcycle Tire is a fantastic tire to invest in for cruising or touring due to their high-quality build. If you’re looking for the best cruising motorcycle tires, offering both longevity and stability, you’ve found it.
Contour Modeling is used in the manufacturing of these tires, making them easy to handle at all lean angles. Even more, the newest models come with a 20 percent improvement on the dry grip when compared to previous makes of the same Metzeler Z6 ROADTEC tire.
The sleek and modern design of this tire’s tread is designed so that it wears perfectly evenly, significantly adding to the overall lifespan of the unit. When it comes to long cruises and touring, there are few better choices of motorcycle tires capable of the feat.
Metzeler Z6 ROADTEC Street Sport Motorcycle Tires Key Features:
- Excellent high-speed stability
- 120/70ZR17 58W and other sizes
- Front and rear tread pattern provides excellent wet grip performance
- Sidewall construction provides a superior bump absorption
- W-rated for speeds up to 168 mph
Who Should Buy Motorcycle Tires
If you are a motorcyclist that’s tired of the replacing tire after tire due to the eventual wear and tear of, you need to bite the bullet and invest in the best motorcycle tires that you can find. A good motorcycle tire will more than assist you in your road adventures. Riding a motorcycle is not always easy, especially in harsh weather conditions. So, to prepare for even the most unexpected weather conditions, you need to equip your machine with trustworthy motorcycle tires. The design and structure of your motorcycle tires should provide you with enough grip so that you can easily tackle any road, smooth as well as an uneven and even off-road.
Well-made motorcycle tires are especially essential for those who are traveling long distances. That said, if you are a short distance rider, you might not be as worried about your motorcycle tires, but you should be. It is highly recommended that you check every part of your motorcycle, especially its tires, no matter how far you’re going to ride. Your motorcycle’s acceleration, braking, and handling will improve immensely.
Without the best tires, a motorcycle is never at its safest. That is why it’s so important to fully explore the market to get the most premium motorcycle tires for your well-being. If you are a person who commutes daily on a motorcycle, then you must equip your bike with nothing but the best motorcycle tires. Moreover, apart from that, you may save yourself from an otherwise avoidable accident, which usually occurs when you are equipped with lower quality motorcycle tires.
Important Features to Consider
A pair of the best motorcycle tires should have a few important features. Here’s what to consider when selecting motorcycle tires:
- Durability. Durability is one of the significant features of motorcycle tires. The level of durability will help you on all kinds of roads. You will face fewer stability issues while riding your motorcycle, even in rough conditions.
- Sidewall. The sidewall of motorcycle tires houses the tread and bead. The sidewall is the feature that ensures stability as handling depends upon the sidewall of motorcycle tires. That said, a shorter sidewall is recommended for better handling and less flex.
- Inner bead. Bead is the part of the motorcycle tire that is most closely related to the wheel. It is a collection of steel wires around which heavy rubber has been wrapped. The rubber is so tight that the wheel is prevented from slipping. That way you can enjoy a perfect ride with no hassles.
- The carcass. The carcass is the backbone of the tire and is one of the most critical features as it is the internal layer. It is made of cords that sustain the heavy load. It’s also helpful in absorbing shock that might occur on a bouncy road. Make sure to keep this feature in mind while buying tires for your back as it can prove to be a deal breaker.
- Tubes. Tubes are critical in the overall construction of the motorcycle tires. There are two types of motorcycle tires; with tubes and without tubes (known as tubeless tires). A tire with a tube in it can be examined easily and does not require any high-tech tool for maintenance. Tubeless tires, on the other hand, require specialized equipment for dealing with even the smallest of punctures.
- Valve stem. The valve stem is the knob that is fitted on every motorcycle tire. These typically consist of steel or aluminum. Always consider the valve stem while buying motorcycle tires because air, one of the most vital elements for your motorcycle, enters the tire through these valve stems. High-quality valve stems are therefore required for a smooth ride.
Frequently Asked Questions
What size motorcycle tires do I need?
The motorcycle tire sizing depends upon five primary factors; width, aspect ratio, speed rating, tire construction, and rim diameter. You can find them printed on any motorcycle tire. You must know the importance of all these factors for determining the size of your motorcycle tires. You can also check the manual of your bike for accurate size and dimension to equip the best set of motorcycle tires. Also, you can check out the manufacturer website of the brand your considering to purchase for more information.
What do the numbers on motorcycle tires mean?
There are always a few numbers stamped on the sidewall of motorcycle tires. It is vital to know as much as possible about those numbers as they are essential in choosing which tires to buy for your particular motorcycle. The first number represents the width. It is measured from edge to edge of the tire’s tread. The second number means the aspect ratio, which indicates the tallness of the motorcycle tire in regards to the width. The third number is the rim size; it refers towards the diameter of the rim the tire will be mounted to.
When should a motorcycle tire be replaced for age?
It is recommended to change the tires of your motorcycle every five years. That said, if any damage has occurred to your motorcycle tires and you feel unsafe, you should replace them as soon as possible regardless of age. Apart from that, a good and reliable set of motorcycle tire should easily last for several years with minimal issues. If the manufacturer suggests a different replacement range, always consider that as well.
Do motorcycle tires have to match?
Yes, the motorcycle tires should match. There are few instances when the manufacturer recommends a mix and match of tires. If such is the case, however, you should follow the recommendation. Otherwise, it is prohibited to mix and match the front and rear tires. If you do this, you will most likely face awkward handling, mediocre performance at best, and a risky ride overall, to say the least. It is a far better practice to match the tires for the smoothest and safest performance.
Other Motorcycle Tires We Reviewed
We looked at 20 other motorcycle tires. Even though they didn’t make our 5 best motorcycle tires list, they’re the best of the rest and each is still a great option for your bike. The information you’ll need to compare each one is included with the listings below.
- Sport-Touring Motorcycle Tires
- Dual Sport/ADV Motorcycle Tires
- Budget Motorcycle Tires
- Off-Road Motorcycle Tires
Sport-Touring Motorcycle Tires
The Metzeler ME888 Marathon Ultra are innovative inclination grooved tires with wide whitewalls. They come highly rated and provide long-lasting durability and superior handling.
- Long-lasting tread life
- Up to 50 percent better gas mileage for heavy bikes
- High performance and smooth handling
The second Pirelli to grace our list are the Angel ST Front and Rear Street Touring Motorcycle Tires. Tailor-made by the manufacturer for the newest sportbikes, you’ll be hard pressed to find a better pair of EMS touring tires.
- W-rated for 168+ MPH speeds
- Eco-friendly compound
- 0-degree steel-belt
- Built for sport and supersport bikes
The Elite 4 fits most standard, cruiser, hybrid, and touring bikes. They also come in radial and bias-ply construction providing excellent grip and mileage.
- Extended mileage
- MT Multi-Tread tech
- Excellent wet-pavement performance
Longer mileage, stability, excellent handling, and solid grip are just a few of the most significant features of the Bridgestone Battlax tires.
- Stable contact due to the large crown radius
- Improved grip for wet and dry conditions
- Long-lasting high-end dual-treads
The Continental ContiMotion Sport and Touring Motorcycle Tire are one of the newest brands on the market. So far, they have excellent ratings and reviews not to mention an excellent low price.
- New school radial concept
- High safety rating for both wet and dry conditions
- 0° Steel-belt construction allows higher stability and comfort
Best Dual Sport/ADV Motorcycle Tires
The Anakee III is one of the newest motorcycle tires on the market from Michelin, designed for 90 percent on-road riding and 10 percent off-road.
- Superior stability due to the high-rigid casing
- Smooth maneuverability and easy handling
- Wear resistant and great for riding in dirt, sand, and mud
Cost: $145 – $190
Shinko’s 705 is one of the most versatile dual sport tires around. It’s made for 80 percent street and 20 percent off-road.
- Off-road tear resistance
- 4-ply build
- Tube and Tubeless types available
Cost: $80 – $160
Another great dual purpose tire is Kenda’s K270. It’s knobby enough for the dirt and smooth enough for the road.
- Aggressive rounded knob design
- New rubber compound allows off-road and on-road riding
- Extra beat strength and reinforced sidewalls
Cost: $55 – $95
The Shinko E805 is for those searching for the best big block tire on the market. Designed for 40 percent on-road and 60 percent off-road, it’s a real beast no matter where you ride.
- 60 percent off-road, 40 percent on-road
- Bias build
- Innovative big block design
Cost: $100 – $165
The Continental TKC70 is a dual sports tire that provides extended longevity as well as a superior grip on or off the road.
- Street and off-road use
- Radial construction for a superior trail riding experience
- One-of-a-kind block pattern for a smoother and quieter road trip
Budget Motorcycle Tires
A classic tire that’s been around for several decades, the Duro motorcycle tire is both affordable and trustworthy.
- Works as front or back tire
- Bias ply build
- Rated for 93mph speeds
For dirtbike and off-road adventurers, Bridgestone’s M22 Motorcross Tire is one the best motorcycle tires around (especially taking into consideration the low cost).
- Racing tread
- long-lasting life of grip
- Made for even the hardest terrain
- Tread knob developed for better traction and stability
Full Bore’s F2 series tire is an upgraded version of the popular new generation M1 series motorcycle tire. The tire is high-quality and well-rounded for use on many types of bikes.
- Excellent traction
- long-lasting tire life
- Built for sport and super-sport bikes
One of the best budget tires for larger bikes is the Kenda K673 Kruz. Featuring all-weather tread and a new rubber compound, the Kruz will save you time as well as gas money.
- Tread patterns designed for any weather conditions
- Improved rubber compound allows better mileage
- Superior tubeless construction
Another excellent tire for heavier bikes is the Skinko 777 Heavy Duty Cruiser Tire. Higher load capacity, longer tread life, and more stability are just a few of the tire’s most significant benefits.
- Heavy Duty reinforced carcass
- H-rated tubeless tire
- 150/90-16, 90/90-21 nylon belted
Off-Road Motorcycle Tires
When it comes to tearing down trails of dirt, rock, sand, or mud, these Bridgestone bad boys will never let you down.
- Tread developed specifically for riding in deep sand and mud
- Super-wide paddle design allows extra traction even in loose dirt and mud
- Excellent for softer terrain
Michelin again for the win. Motocross riders with smaller bikes (mainly juniors) won’t want to miss out on all the knobby actions the Starcross MH3 has to offer.
- Same great tread pattern as the full-sized version
- Visible treadwear indicator
For less than two hundred dollars you can pick up this full set of high-quality and durable dirt bike tires (and rims with bearings).
- Aggressive knobs for harder terrain
- Stiff bead and sidewall construction for better cornering
- Full set of tires including the rim, inner tube, and bearings assembly
Dunlop’s patented block-within-a-block design is super impressive. The versatile Geomax MX52 allows more aggressive cornering, slide control, grip, flexibility and more.
- Smooth handling and long-lasting knob durability
- High shock absorption due to superior sidewall design
- Excellent grip in versatile settings
A hybrid tire to try if ever there was one, the Motoz Arena Hybrid Gummy BFM consists of soft gummy rubber for extra traction, super flex, and long-lasting durability.
- Soft gummy hybrid rubber make
- Reinforced sidewalls
- Stronger traction due to extra-flex