If you own a car with any type of leather inside, at some point you’ll need to apply some leather conditioner to keep it in good shape. People who restore cars and need to spruce up the leather on the inside of a car could also benefit from buying a quality leather conditioner.
We reviewed dozens of leather conditioners to identify the best of the best. We looked at the different types of conditioners available, made sure they didn’t leave any odors or streaks, can help deep-condition multiple types of leathers, and a variety of other factors we’ll include in each product description.
The leather conditioner from Leather Honey is one of the best available creams. One treatment can last six months or longer, saving you a ton of time from having to apply it often. It doesn’t leave behind a sticky residue and is designed to repel water, snow, and rain.
In This Article
The 5 Top-Rated Leather Conditioners
|Best Overall||Leather Honey Leather Conditioner||4.4|
|Runner Up||Bickmore Bick 4 Leather Conditioner||4.7|
|Best Budget Buy||Meguiar's G18616 Gold Class Leather Conditioner||4.4|
|Best Leather Balm||Chamberlain's Leather Milk Leather Conditioner||4.3|
|Best Leather Conditioner Spray||Lexol Leather Deep Conditioner Spray||5.0|
*Ratings are from Amazon at the time of publication and can change
Our Top Pick: Leather Honey Leather Conditioner
The leather conditioner from Leather Honey has been around since 1968 and has grown to be one of the most popular options on the market. Some leather conditioners need to be applied once a month for it to work, but this one only needs to be applied every six months.
With this conditioner, you’re able to extend the life of your leather or bring older leather back to life. It gets into the pores of the leather to moisturize it and restore flexibility. That gives it the newer, cleaner look that most people want with their leather. It is non-toxic, non-solvent, doesn’t leave a sticky residue, doesn’t contain silicone, and doesn’t have an odor. On top of that, it is water, snow, and rain repellant which can help a considerable amount on those bad weather days.
Leather Honey Leather Conditioner Key Features:
- One treatment lasts six months or longer
- Protects new leather and rejuvenates old leather
- Made in the USA
- Water repellant
- Can be used on many types of leather
Our Runner Up Pick: Bickmore Bick 4 Leather Conditioner
The Bickmore Bick 4 leather conditioner is our runner up pick due to its simple application process and quality. It cleans, polishes, and protects a wide variety of leathers. This conditioner is everything you need to clean and condition your leather in one process. There are a lot out there that require multiple products to do each step, but this is just one.
One of the best features of this conditioner is that it will not darken your leathers. A lot of conditioners on the market also slightly darken the leather while restoring moisture, but these keep the leather the same color while also providing a deep conditioner. This is especially ideal for older or worn leather and helping to breathe new life into it.
Bickmore Bick 4 Leather Conditioner Key Features:
- Works with multiple types of leather
- Extends the life of the leather
- Simple one-step application process
Best Budget Pick: Meguiar’s G18616 Gold Class Leather Conditioner
The leather conditioner from Meguiar combines aloe and conditioner to bring life back to the material. It goes on without leaving streaks and build-up. Some leather conditioners can leave behind a white material or a gloss type of look, but this goes on smooth.
Due to it being in a spray bottle, it’s easy to apply on your leather. All you need to do is spray it on and wipe off any extra liquid. This is also ideal to use after a good cleaning. Not only does it moisturize your leather but it also provides UV protection so you can protect it from changing for years to come.
Meguiar’s G18616 Gold Class Leather Conditioner Key Features:
- UV protection
- Combines aloe and moisturizer
- Convenient spray bottle
Best Leather Balm: Chamberlain’s Leather Milk
The leather conditioning balm from Chamberlain’s comes in a small, easy-to-carry tin that lets you moisturize your leather easily on the go. It’s made in the USA from some of the finest all-natural ingredients that work on almost any type of leather.
This balm can help heal even the oldest and dryest leathers. If you’re someone who likes to repair old leather or buys old cars, this is the best balm you could use to get it back to its original look. The case also contains a premium fine pore scrubbing absorption sponge for easy application at any time.
Chamberlain’s Leather Milk Key Features:
- Heals and restores cracked and dry leather
- Made in the USA
- Comes with a premium fine pore scrubbing absorption sponge
Best Leather Conditioner Spray: Lexol
The Lexol conditioner spray will help protect your new leather and shine up your old leathers. It will help keep your leather stronger over time by giving it the moisture it needs to prevent cracking. It’s made out of high-quality tanning oils which are emulsified into microscopic droplets to get into the smallest parts of the leather.
This conditioner is easy to apply since you simply spray it on and then rub it in a little bit. The oil droplets bond to the leather fibers to make it more flexible and repair old cracks. It doesn’t leave behind greasy residue or streaks after you rub it in.
Lexol Key Features:
- Convenient spray bottle
- Made with the finest tanning oils
- Gets moisture into your leather where it’s needed most
Who Should Buy Leather Conditioner
Anyone who owns a leather product will eventually need leather conditioner, and car interiors are no exception. If you’ve put a lot of money in custom accessories like wheel covers and speakers, it only makes sense to put the same time and effort into keeping your car’s leather in tip-top shape.
After a certain amount of time, leather will need conditioner to maintain its color, softness, and quality. Before you condition it, you’ll need to clean it off. Some of the products we’ve included have cleaners along with conditioners.
Another reason you might need a leather conditioner is if you restore older cars. Most older cars have worn or cracked leather inside and the conditioner can bring it back to life.
Important Features to Consider
A leather conditioner should moisturize your leather and make it better than when you start. Here’s what to consider when selecting a leather conditioner:
- Darkening. Some leather conditioners will darken or change the color of the leather. A quality conditioner will not do this unless you look for one that has this specific feature because you want to darken it.
- Type. Leather conditioner can come in balm or liquid form. They will both work to condition your leather but
- Cleaner. Some conditioners work as cleaners and for some of them, you’ll need to use a cleaner before you condition your leather.
- Application. Each different type of conditioner has a different way it needs to applied to leather. Make sure you have the accompanying tools or buy a kit so you’ll have everything you need.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is leather conditioner and how does it work?
If you use or keep anything leather for a long period of time, it will eventually start to crack. This is particularly true for car seats because they’re sat on so often. Leather conditioner is rubbed on and can help prevent the leather from cracking or drying out.
What can be used to condition leather?
There are some natural options you can use when it comes to conditioning your leather such as coconut oil, but leather conditioners are specifically designed to keep your leather in great shape for years to come.
How often should I condition my leather car seats?
Generally, every three months you’ll want to condition your leather car seats if you use them often. If you have a car that is more of a collector’s car and not an everyday car, conditioning your seats every six months will work.
What can I use to clean leather car seats?
You can use a commercial leather cleaner or you can make your own cleaners using a specific recipe.
Other Leather Conditioners We Reviewed
We looked at 20 other leather conditioners. Even though they didn’t make our 5 best leather conditioners, they’re the best of the rest and each is still a great option for your seats. The information you’ll need to compare each one is included with the listing.
Spray Leather Conditioner
The Bick 5 leather cleaner and conditioner from Bickmore stays on well after being applied. It also has an adjustable spray cap to make sure you’re putting on only as much as you need.
- Doesn’t leave behind a sticky residue
- Stays exactly where you apply it
- Easy spray-on application
This leather conditioner from Chemical Guys will help breathe new life into your leather while also restoring and protecting any neglected leather.
- Dry to the touch
- Repels water better than most water repellant sprays
- Enriched with vitamin E and aloe
The Aero Cosmetics leather conditioner goes on smooth without a greasy residue.
- Easy to use
- Aircraft quality
- Leaves a UV-protective coating
This deep leather conditioner from Lexol can help extend the life of your leather by restoring the oils used in the tanning process.
- Odorless, non-greasy liquid
- A popular product among auto restorers
- Restores oils used in the tanning process
This leather cleaner and conditioner from Weiman will help prevent fading leather or any cracking.
- Sunscreen built-in to keep it safe
- Restores fading and struggling leather
- Removes dirt, oil, and residue
This cleaner and conditioner from 303 Leather is made in the USA and is safe on any finished leather or vinyl surface.
- Superior UV protection
- Long lasting and helps keep surfaces clean
- Cleans, conditions, and restores with a single product
Balm Leather Conditioner
The leather conditioning balm from Meguiar’scleans and conditions leather seats in one easy step.
- UV protection to prevent fading, cracking, and drying
- Premium, natural ingredients
- Cocoa butter and jojoba oil for smooth, soft leather
This leather conditioner from Obenauf’s repels water, acids, petroleum, salt, and chemicals.
- Restores dried and sun faded leather
- Resists mold, mildew, bacteria, scuffing, abrasion, stitch tear, and cracking
- Melts by hand
This conditioner from Vaught’s Best comes in a small, easy to transport container for repairs and fixes on the go. You can apply it with your fingers or a soft cloth.
- Buff to a lustrous shine
- Pure seed oil & triple-filtered beeswax
This conditioner from Furniture Clinic not only gives your leather some much-needed moisture, but it also can help recolor your leather after heavy wear and tear.
- Given the Good Housekeeping seal approval rating
- 21 different leather color choices
- Renews and restores color
Cream Leather Conditioner
The Armor All leather care gel will clean, condition, and protect your leather seats.
- Removes dirt and soil
- Enhance your leather’s natural beauty
- Blocking agents protect against spills, stains, cracking, fading, discoloration, and aging
The leather conditioner from Leather Rescue protects your leather from wear, weather, and UV rays.
- Dries within one hour
- Works on a variety of leathers
- pH-balanced, non-toxic formula
This leather cleaner and conditioner combination from KevianClean doesn’t leave behind an oily residue or any streaks.
- Chemical-free cleaner
- Conditions and revives leather
The Meguiar’s conditioner will clean and condition your leather seats easily. It helps prevent damage from spills and UV exposure.
- All-in-one leather treatment
- Restores softness
- Leaves leather looking and feeling natural
The TriNova leather conditioner also includes water repellant to keep your seats safe from any spills in your car.
- Restore worn out leather
- Applicator included
- Softens, strengthens, and moisturizes
This cleaner and conditioner combo from Leather CPR is designed to be irritant-free so you can safely use it if you have a family member with sensitive skin.
- Bring leather back to life
- Dermatologist tested
- No greasy residue
Leather Conditioner Kits
This leather conditioning kit from Lexol comes with everything you need to clean your leather and keep it in great shape.
- Easily clean and condition your leather
- Comes with deep cleaner, deep conditioner, and 2 premium applicator sponges
- 2-step regimen
This leather conditioner from Chamberlain is exactly what you need to do a deep condition on your seats to keep them looking fresh for a long time. It comes with a premium applicator pad for the smoothest finish.
- Comes with a premium applicator pad
- Fixes dry, dull, scratched leather
- Deep conditions, cleans, and restores
This cleaner kit from Weiman includes leather wipes, microfiber cloth, and a cleaner conditioner combination spray.
- Can be used on a variety of leather surfaces
- Sunscreen included preventing sun damage
The leather conditioner from Chemical Guys is a well-known quality option and this one comes with additional cleaner spray for better overall use.
- pH balanced for efficient cleaning
- Easily wipe away dirt and grime without harming the leather
- Penetrates pores to lift and suspend dirt and oils