It’s best to avoid using your cell phone at all while you’re driving but, if you must, cell phone holders for cars allow you to mount your phone near you to make hands-free calls, play music through a Bluetooth stereo system, or use your phone as a GPS device. with so many car cell phone holders available, picking the right one can be tricky.
We researched dozens of cell phone holders for cars to find the best models out there. In order to compare them and find the very best, we considered various factors, including how they attach to the car, how they hold the phone in place, overall durability, and average customer reviews.
Ultimately, we chose the Penom Magnetic Phone Car Mount as our top pick. Its consistently good reviews drew us to it initially, but the more research we did, the clearer it was that this cell phone holder can’t be surpassed.
In This Article
The 5 Top-Rated Cell Phone Holders for Cars
|Best Overall||Penom Magnetic Phone Car Mount||4.8|
|Runner Up||Bosynoy Cell Phone Holder for Car||4.3|
|Best Budget Buy||Arteck Universal Mobile Phone Car Mount||4.0|
|Best Magnetic Cell Phone Holder for Cars||WizGear Universal Magnetic Car Mount Holder||4.6|
|Best Air Vent Cell Phone Holder for Cars||Baseus Air Vent Compatible Car Phone Mount||4.8|
*Ratings are from Amazon at the time of publication and can change
Our Top Pick: Penom Magnetic Phone Car Mount
What we love about the Penom Magnetic Phone Car Mount is how reliable it and how easy is it to use. Some cell phone holders for cars make you feel like you should have an advanced engineering degree just to fit them in place or are always coming unsecured or dropping your phone. With the Penom, however, you simply anchor it into your air vent and you’re good to go. You will also need to adhere a thin metal plate to your phone or its case to allow it to stick to the magnet, but it comes with a protective layer so you can remove it later without damaging your phone.
This cell phone holder actually contains four magnets in it, allowing it to hold more than six pounds, which is more than strong enough to hold your phone fast—it certainly won’t fall off if you hit a pothole. Another great thing about the magnetic system is that it’s completely universal and can hold phones of any size. The 360 degree twist rotation lets you find the best angle to mount your phone. The $14 price tag is higher than some, but still extremely reasonable, all things considered.
Penom Magnetic Phone Car Mount Key Features:
- Includes two magnetic plates and protective films
- Universal compatibility, even suitable for small tablets
- Mounting position doesn’t obstruct vision
Our Runner Up Pick: Bosynoy Cell Phone Holder for Car
The Bosynoy Cell Phone Holder for Car is a little different from the majority of options out there, but don’t let that put you off. The device adheres to your dashboard using a mildly sticky pad on the base, which can be washed and reused if you want to switch your holder to a different car. It has a clam shell design, which folds down near flat when not in use so it won’t infringe on your field of vision. It only holds phones in the landscape orientation, which might not be ideal for all purposes, but is perfect when using your phone as a satellite navigation device.
While it’s not completely universal, it can hold any cell phone between 3 and 6.8 inches, which includes almost any smart phone on the market. However, if your phone has a particularly bulky or rugged case, you might find it’s too deep for the Bosynoy, so you’ll need to remove it from its case to use the holder. We’re focusing on the black version of this phone holder, which costs $13, but some other colors cost more.
Bosynoy Cell Phone Holder for Car Key Features:
- Extremely stable
- Doesn’t damage phone or require anything to be stuck to your phone
- Can fit most GPS devices as well as cell phones
Best Budget Pick: Arteck Universal Mobile Phone Car Holder
If you’re on a tight budget or will only use a car cell phone holder on rare occasions and so don’t want to spend too much, the Arteck Universal Mobile Phone Car Holder is an excellent choice. Retailing at less than $6, it’s one of the cheapest cell phone holders for cars on on market. That doesn’t mean it performs poorly, however. Sure, it might not have some of the bells and whistles of higher end models, but it gets the job done. The Arteck adheres either to the dashboard or the windshield via a suction cup. You then affix your phone in a clamp, which fits the vast majority of smart phones.
The clamp sits on a rotation ball that lets you swivel your phone 360 degrees, as well as tilt it backward and forward, so it’s easy to set your phone up at the exact angle that you need.
Arteck Universal Mobile Phone Car Holder Key Features:
- Holds devices between 2.16 and 3.54 inches wide
- Sticky gel on suction cup fixes securely
- Can be washed and remounted in another vehicle
Best Magnetic Cell Phone Holder for Cars: WizGear Universal Magnetic Car Mount Holder
Although not everyone likes the idea of sticking a magnetic plate to their phone, magnetic cell phone holders for cars are effective and simple to use. Our top magnetic pick is the WizGear Universal Magnetic Car Mount Holder. You can tell at first glance that this is a rugged cell phone holder that isn’t going to break with regular use, like some cheap models. The body of this cell phone holder contains six magnets, so your phone is extremely secure, not matter how bumpy the road you’re travelling is.
Since it fixes to your car’s air vent, it’s super simple to fit and easy to move from one car to another, without going to the trouble of washing and re-sticking any adhesive pads or suction cups. What’s more, since it doesn’t sit on the dash or windshield, it won’t obstruction your view of the road. It’s also easy to rotate and angle, so you can use your phone in any position that suits you. The $15 price tag is reasonable for the quality you receive.
WizGear Universal Magnetic Car Mount Holder Key Features:
- Includes three metal plates and protective shields
- Fits any cell phone
- Sturdy twist lock fixture
Best Air Vent Cell Phone Holder for Cars: Baseus Air Vent Compatible Car Phone Mount
If you think air vent car cell phone holders are a basic option, the Baseus Air Vent Compatible Car Phone Mount will make you think again. At $22, it’s the most costly cell phone holder for cars in our top five, but it’s extremely well designed and worth splashing out on. The silica gel grip lets it adhere extra securely to your car’s air vent, while the mount allows for full 360 rotation. What makes this model stand out from its competitors is the design of the bracket that holds the phone in place. The gravity-sensing bracket grips extra tightly when the phone is upside down so it won’t fall out.
It isn’t completely universal, but the Baseus can hold a wide range of cell phones. If yours measures anywhere between 4.7 and 6.5 inches wide, it should fit in this cell phone holder. It’s extremely durable overall and likely to last years to come.
Baseus Air Vent Compatible Car Phone Mount Key Features:
- Easily releases your phone with one touch
- Simple to use and install
- Won’t block your view while driving
Who Should Buy a Cell Phone Holder for Cars
Many drivers could benefit from a cell phone holder for cars. One of the most popular uses for these cell phone holders is to use a cell phone as a GPS system. After all, smart phones do everything these days, so dedicated GPS devices are becoming redundant.
What’s more, with your cell phone mounted in place, you can use voice commands to make hands-free calls or change the music playing on your car stereo. (If you want high-quality sound, check out our review of the best car speakers.) However, we’d definitely recommend checking laws relating to in-car cell phone use in your area, as some places even outlaw hands-free cell phone use.
Important Features to Consider
A cell phone holder for cars should have a few important features. Here’s what to consider when selecting a cell phone holder for your car:
- Mounting method. The mounting method refers to how the cell phone holder attaches to your car. The most common options are via a suction cup that attaches to the windshield or dash and by slotting into the air vent. However, you can also find some alternative mounting methods, such as in the cup holder or the CD tray.
- Phone attachment method. This is how your phone attaches to the cell phone holder. Most either feature some kind of adjustable clamp that holds the phone in place or fix your phone to them using magnets. With the latter option, the cell phone holder will come with a thin metal plate that you stick to your phone. Some people dislike magnetic cell phone holders for this reason, but we think it’s very little hassle for the ease that comes with magnetic devices.
- Cell phone compatibility. Not all cell phone holders are compatible with all cell phones. Those that hold phones in place with a clamp generally fit phones within a range of widths, so if your cell phone is wider or narrower then it won’t fit. Magnetic models, on the other hand, are entirely universal.
- Stability. How stable is your chosen cell phone holder? Is it likely to detach from where it’s mounted to your car or drop your cell phone? Choose a strong and stable cell phone holder to avoid issues.
- Durability. Some cell phone holders for cars are simply more durable than others. It usually follows that more expensive models are more durable and well-made, but this isn’t always the case.
Frequently Asked Questions
How does a car cell phone holder work?
A car cell phone holder is quite simple; it affixes to your car at one end (usually clamping to your air vent or sticking to your dash) and holds your cell phone in place at the other.
Are magnetic car mounts safe for phones?
Yes, they come with a protective layer that you stick between the magnetic plate and your phone to prevent any damage. What’s more, if your cell phone has a case, you can choose to adhere the metal plate to that case rather than your phone.
Is it legal to have a phone holder in your car?
This depends on where you live. In the United States, it’s legal to have a phone holder in your car, but there may be restrictions on where you can place them. In 21 states, it’s illegal to mount a cell phone holder on your windshield (since it can obstruct your view), and in several other states, there are laws about whereabouts on your windshield you can mount a phone holder. As such, it’s wise to check your local laws before you set up a cell phone holder, or avoid windshield-mounted options altogether.
Can you use a mounted phone while driving?
Again, this depends on your local laws. If you live in the U.S. no state completely bans the hands-free use of mounted cell phones, but it many states you’d be violating the law if you texted or otherwise operated your phone with your hands while driving, even if it’s mounted. In some states, it’s even illegal to call or text hands-free if you’re under a set age or are a new driver, and some states are considering banning hands-free calling altogether, so your state laws may have changed by the time you’re reading this.
Other Cell Phone Holders for Cars We Reviewed
We looked at 20 other cell phone holders for cars. Even though they didn’t make our 5 best cell phone holders for cars list, they’re the best of the rest and each is still a great option. The information you’ll need to compare each one is included with the listing.
- Magnetic Cell Phone Holders for Cars
- Suction Cup Cell Phone Holders for Cars
- Air Vent Cell Phone Holders for Cars
- Other Cell Phone Holders for Cars
Magnetic Cell Phone Holders For Cars
The super strong suction cup lets you adhere this cell phone holder to almost any hard, flat surface, while the magnet holds any cell phone around.
- 360 degree rotation
- Strong, secure magnets
- Comes with two metal plates
It might be simple, but the Gturtle will securely hold your cell phone, plus it comes in a cool gold color.
- Mounts on dashboard
- Strong magnets
- Easy to use
This nifty little magnetic model saves space and has easy 360 rotation.
- Extra strong magnets
- Two color options
- Sticks to dashboard using 3M adhesive pads
The free rotation lets you quickly angle your phone with just one hand.
- Two metal plates included
- Adheres to dashboard
- Also available in a 2-pack
This inexpensive magnetic phone holder performs excellently for the price.
- Simple to use
- Stable, durable design
- Six reinforced magnets
Suction Cup Cell Phone Holders for Cars
Despite its sticky properties, the suction cup won’t leave a mark on your dash and can be washed and re-stuck.
- One-touch clamp and release
- Extendable arm
- Compatible with a wide range of phones
This suction cup cell phone holder can fit phones between 1.9 and 3.7 inches.
- 360 degree rotation
- Extendable arm
- Extra-sticky suction cup
Not only will this device securely hold your phone in place, it can charge it wirelessly, too.
- Charging capabilities only work on phones compatible with wireless charging
- Suction cup mounts on dashboard or windshield
- Adjustable viewing angle
The sticky gel suction pad can be renewed by washing, which makes it easier to move between cars.
- Telescopic arm
- Compatible with smart phones up to six inches
- Flexible arm
This heavy duty cell phone holder for cars costs a lot more than competitors, but it is rugged and effective.
- Universal X-grip holds almost any phone
- Extendable arm
Air Vent Cell Phone Holders for Cars
With its magnetic fixtures, this air vent cell phone holder is completely universal.
- Two magnetic plates included
- Holds phone at any degree of rotation
- Simple to set up
The adjustable clamp fits securely to your car’s air vents to keep your phone securely in place.
- Universal magnetic fixings
- 360 degree rotation
- Strong magnets hold phone securely
The gravity linkage design holds phone securely in place at any angle.
- Secure air vent clamp
- One-handed lock and release
- Doesn’t block field of vision
Although this car cell phone holder is compatible with any type of phone, you get two free cases for the iPhone 7 Plus and 8 Plus.
- Magnetic design
- 360 degree adjustability
- Fits securely to air vents
Attaching this sturdy cell phone holder to your car air vents is beyond simple.
- Simple press-button release
- Doesn’t obstruct your view
- Fits most phones
This pack of two magnetic air vent cell phone mounts might be cheap, but they’re surprisingly sturdy and effective.
- Soft silicone design won’t scratch your air vents
- Compact design
- Strong magnets keep phone secure
Other Cell Phone Holders for Cars
With its extra attachment, this cell phone holder can either be fixed to the windshield, dashboard, or air vent.
- Compatible with all phones and mini tablets between 3.5 and 7 inches
- Extendable arm
- 360 degree free rotation
A great alternative to air vent phone holders, this one fits into your car’s CD slot.
- 360 degree adjustablity
- Won’t obstruct view while driving
- One-touch phone mounting system
Another phone holder that fits in your CD slot, but this one has foam padding to protect your phone.
- Easy to install and switch between cars
- 360 degree rotation
- Fits all smart phones up to 6.5 inches
This cell phone holder fits tightly into your car’s cup holder to secure your phone.
- Adjustable gooseneck design
- Compatible with smart phones between 2.01 and 3.54 inches wide
- Fits all cup holders